News:

Thank you everyone for helping out during the MIWR Clean-up!

« previous next »
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Hobie Kayak Modifications

Read 2105 times
  • Fishing Legend
Hobie Kayak Modifications
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
In my conversations with other owners of Hobie kayaks, I have noticed that we seem obsessed with making modifications.  I know I've drilled a lot of holes in mine over the years!  Here is one I found in an Australian forum on Hobies.  I spent less than $20. and it is one of the best changes I have made.

Roller Furling: Adding roller furling to your mast gives you the ability to roll or unroll your sail around the mast, from where you are sitting in the kayak.  Why would you want to do this?

1.  When the wind comes up at the end of a fishing day, you can sail home and pedal at the same time.  Not only is it easier to get home, it's a lot of fun!
2.  If you are sailing and the wind gets too strong, you can reef some of your sail to reduce it's size.
3.  What a great way to troll!  I plan to take my kayak offshore this summer to troll for bigger fish.
4.  When the wind is too strong to fish, go sailing instead!   

Here is all you need:
1.  A  bow knuckle. Usually used for boat biminis, they are available at any boat store.  I have an extra one if you want it.
2.  2 stainless washers with 7/8 inch inside diameter.
3.  A thrust bearing with 7/8 inch inside diameter.  Less than $10.00 at Miller Bearings on Parramore in Orlando.
4.  A small diameter piece of line.  Ten feet should be long enough.
5.  A small cleat.

Slip the bow knuckle on the mast and insert the mast in the mast hole.  Tighten the set screw.  You will have to grind a small groove underneath the bow knuckle to attach the elastic downhaul on the sail.  I used a Dremel tool.  Slip one washer under the bow knuckle, then the bearing, and then the second washer.  You are almost done!  The mast should now spin freely.  Use the mainsheet line to unroll the sail from around the mast.  Attach a second thin line to the bow knuckle and wrap it in a clockwise direction around the mast.  This will be used to roll the sail up.  You could run this line between the pedals and back to you.  I felt it would be in the way there, so I ran it along the port side of the kayak back to where I sit.  Add a small cleat to secure the end of the line near you.  You are now done, except for some tweaking to get the system just right for you.

If you want to see this setup, contact me here.  Now go fishing!

Next project.....outriggers.

It takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to sip a margarita.

Native Ultimate 14.5
Hobie Revolution
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:40:17 PM by John »
  • Fishing Legend
Re: Hobie Kayak Modifications
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »
Cool... that's a great idea. Just have a hard time forking over the cash for the Hobie Sail Kit!
Can you post a pic of your setup?
Eddie
Member since '08
Hobie Revo Ivory
Old Towne Loon 120 Yellow
Beavertail Vengeance skiff
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
  • Former President - OKFC
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
I would be interested in any extra parts you have or pictures of your setup!  Ive been working on a sail for the Malibu and would like to finish it up.
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.  For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Let us put our minds together and see what life we will make for our children
Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Frambo~The only part I have left over is a bow knuckle but you are welcome to have it.  You are also welcome to try out my Hobie to get a feel for kayak sailing.  I'll take a picture of the kayak rigged for sailing and post it in the near future. 

As for converting the Malibu to sail, that sounds like a fun project.  I've seen such projects online from time to time.  A couple things to consider:  Kayaks have rounded bottoms so they are tippy under sail.  I added outriggers which solved the tippy problem and added a LOT of speed!  If you can figure out how to add a center board, the kayak will sail much better.   

Native Ultimate 14.5
Hobie Revolution
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
  • Former President - OKFC
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
I will take you up on your offer and would like to see how this is put toghether.  One of the ideas I had was using a flexible tiller extener (a pair of them actually) to attach a triangular sail.

What are you using for a mast?
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.  For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Let us put our minds together and see what life we will make for our children
Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:46 PM »
My sail kit came with an aluminum mast that folds in half, sort of like a tent pole with a bungie cord inside.  There are also some small pop up sails on the market that do not require a mast.  Lots of other options too....maybe conduit?  Fiberglass?Let know when you want to look at the rig. 

Native Ultimate 14.5
Hobie Revolution
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
John what do you think about the Hobie Adventure Island? It has the outriggers on it with the sail. I want to learn how to sail my hobie so I can do a trip down in the everglades. Good job on the Mod.
Freddy

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »
I like my Hobie Adventure, but like all boats, everything is a trade off.  If you want a kayak strictly for fishing shallow water, there are a lot of good kayaks out there.

I wanted a kayak that was designed to do a lot of different things.  The Adventure and the Adventure Island are good for use in the ocean as well as inshore.  You can paddle, peddle, and sail it.  You can go very long distances in reasonable comfort.  It has lots of storage.  It's perfect for trolling.  The Hobie quality is excellent. 

Mine is 16' long and that makes it harder to lift onto a car roof.  If you get an AI, you will need a trailer.  Mine is narrow, tracks well, but it's not great for standing.  One thing I have learned is that no kayak is really all that fast, not even the AI.  At least not compared to a catamaran or other sailboat built to go fast.  I have briefly had mine up to 6 miles an hour with the homemade outriggers. That was on a day when it would have been very hard to paddle or fish. 

If I had it to do over, I would have spent the extra money for the AI model because you can quickly set it up to fish, sail,  or tour.  On the other hand, I have had a lot of fun making modifications over the years! 

If you want to learn to sail I can teach you in an hour or so.  For learning purposes, we just need a day when the wind is light....not easy to come by lately!   

Native Ultimate 14.5
Hobie Revolution
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:50:46 PM by John »
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »