News:

Thank you everyone for helping out during the MIWR Clean-up!

« previous next »
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Kayak Bait Tank

Read 2391 times
  • Reds Slayer
Kayak Bait Tank
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »
Saw some posts and ideas for kayak bait and live well tanks on a few other sites and gave it a go myself. I want to later add a 12v 8ahr battery to run a overboard circulation pump. I opted to just go with a bubbler only for now to keep the initial cost low and to see how well aeration only will work with shrimp and other bait fish. The tank is built with an overflow drain so I can periodically scoop some water into the tank to keep it cool and let the excess spill out. I also used a threaded fitting on top for the air stone to drop into so I can add the overboard circulation pump later on. Put on a few rod holders for the bait net and a spare rig. The width is a bit less then an milk crate, so I could actually have the tank up front for easy access. Will have to wet test this on my next outing. I've been doing pretty well with artificials, but have seen some monsters caught that will only take shrimp or natural bait. Tank is a pet food container, about 40 dollars. Fittings and stainless steel hardware add up quick, got about 85 dollars into the rig so far. Had an old coleman cooler I tried doing this too first, but butchered it pretty bad. This material is much easier to work with, just have to drop a 20oz frozen water bottle in to keep the bait cool in the warmer months.

Bubbler mounted to the side with a left over lashing strap from my Magic.

Threaded fitting on top to allow the addition of a overboard pump and lots of space in back for a dry box w/ battery

• Fishing Legend
Re: Kayak Bait Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
NICE RIG!
Eddie
Member since '08
Hobie Revo Ivory
Old Towne Loon 120 Yellow
Beavertail Vengeance skiff
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
  • Former President - OKFC
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:34:13 PM »
Ive got two coolers we use.  One is a retrofit huge cooler and the other one is for the kayak and has the same pump above.  I drilled a hole in the side and ran the pump line in and sealed the entire thing with silicone.  A small vent hole is in top.  Works great and I have a little shelf to put baggies of ice so my cut baits stay fresh on top with the live baits in the water below.  And, the lid top is a great cutting surface...
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.  For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Let us put our minds together and see what life we will make for our children
Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:43:14 AM »
Looks good Brett.  :)

Great idea. Mind me asking what the initial cost is?
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 07:02:18 AM »
Good job Bret. I love seeing this kind of stuff. I cant wait to see it in the yak. Where did you pick up the container?
Freddy

Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »
Got the container from Petco, but any big pet store should carry them. Got 85 into the setup not including the dip net and upgraded bubble pack. Decided to put a bubble bar in instead of the stone, seems to work really well and the shrimp have something to cling onto. There are about 3 dozen regular sized shrimp in there. I did not completely fill the tank to make it portable until I reach the water and can put in some fresh stuff to help them acclimate to the temperature.

Happy little shrimp
  • Fishing Legend
  • I sleep where I like.....
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
Nice if you use shrimp ya need some netting for them to hold onto well, they wear out sloshin around
Paddles aren't just for the bedroom anymore
http://www.infraredservices.net/
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 08:13:04 PM »
Yeah, I noticed them holding onto the bubble bar, I think I'll leave my dip net in the tank for them to grab onto.
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
Has anyone ever tried this method?

http://saltfishing.about.com/cs/baitsandlures/ht/baitshrimp.htm

I heard about it years ago but never tried it.
Seems like an easier way to fish live shrimp from a yak?

M-
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
I have not tried that!  Usually I cull the dying ones out and throw them on the shelf with the ice bag for fresh cut bait.  Most of the shrimpies will last all day in the water with the insulation the cooler provides.  DDC's ice bottle trick works well too!
The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist.  For man it is to know that and to wonder at it.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
Well the tank worked out very well monday. The shrimp stayed alive overnight and were quite active. Once I launched I put some fresh water into the tank to cut some of the ammonia down. The shrimp were so active through the day, they were trying to jump out of the dip net. Fishing wasn't so great, had some dork shadowing us (which in it's self isn't so bad) and then continuously travel 100' in front of our lines trolling around with an electric motor. We paddled to about 5" of water where he couldn't follow and then pestered some other boat anchored up. Saw some huge bulls when paddling back after a 1/2 day, but with the winds now from the north east, it pushed us too fast to be able to stop and cast before running them over. Got a bluefish, a few cats, bunch of little trout and one slot trout.  Water level is way up in the south end of the lagoon. My daughter was upset that I took the shrimp away, she liked looking at them the night before.
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »
Cool news on the bait tank.  The little ones seem to love the shrimp!
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
I had seen an article in one of my fishing magazines on using a large diameter pvc pipe (about 3" or larger) with swiss cheese holes all over it and 1 end cap glued in place, and the other just friction fit over the ends along with holes drilled in both of those. Then tie a line to either end of the tube body (not end caps) and a carabiner clip in place (with float just in case) and clip it to the yak (or boat)... obviously, it will not keep your shrimp alive from bait store to water, but intended for use while paddling your kayak... it is less drag then the big floating bait bucket and when ready to throw a shrimp on the hook just grab the line off to the side and pop the top and slide one down into your palm... that's it.

I haven't made one, so I can't attest to how practical it is, but wanted to chime in as I've wanted to make bait fishing easier and affordable in the yak too. ddc, that is an awesome setup.
Eddie
Member since '08
Hobie Revo Ivory
Old Towne Loon 120 Yellow
Beavertail Vengeance skiff
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
Then you can rig it like a torpedo and put a side scan sonar senser on it...whammo, side scan fish finder!
Jacques Yves Cousteau

Sitting Bull

*Hobie Adventure
*Tribute 10 & 12 SL
*Tarpon 16
*Prowler 13
*Native Ultimate RIP
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
Saw some posts and ideas for kayak bait and live well tanks on a few other sites and gave it a go myself. I want to later add a 12v 8ahr battery to run a overboard circulation pump. I opted to just go with a bubbler only for now to keep the initial cost low and to see how well aeration only will work with shrimp and other bait fish. The tank is built with an overflow drain so I can periodically scoop some water into the tank to keep it cool and let the excess spill out. I also used a threaded fitting on top for the air stone to drop into so I can add the overboard circulation pump later on. Put on a few rod holders for the bait net and a spare rig. The width is a bit less then an milk crate, so I could actually have the tank up front for easy access. Will have to wet test this on my next outing. I've been doing pretty well with artificials, but have seen some monsters caught that will only take shrimp or natural bait. Tank is a pet food container, about 40 dollars. Fittings and stainless steel hardware add up quick, got about 85 dollars into the rig so far. Had an old coleman cooler I tried doing this too first, but butchered it pretty bad. This material is much easier to work with, just have to drop a 20oz frozen water bottle in to keep the bait cool in the warmer months.

Bubbler mounted to the side with a left over lashing strap from my Magic.

Very nice job!  I might borrow this idea!   8)  I think the other members posts, about adding some netting to the bottom of the tank, would be a good idea also.  Will help reduce distress.

Stingray
Team G3T L33T - Stingray
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »