News:

Thank you everyone for helping out during the MIWR Clean-up!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Hobie Outback vs Hobie Revo

Read 5164 times
  • Reds Slayer
  • Fish smart. Fish S-mart.
Hobie Outback vs Hobie Revo
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
I got a Hobie Oasis, which is a tandem (awesome boat, even for a single person), but since most times I go out by myself, I'm looking for a smaller, single person kayak. I just can't decide on one of these two... So, the question is: Hobie Outback or Hobie Revolution? Any thoughts? What's your preference and why?
Too many Hobie kayaks, but there's always room for more!Legal Disclaimer:Any information provided should not be construed as technical, legal, financial, medical or spiritual advice and may burn your retinas if read incorrectly.

eme

• Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
Re: Hobie Outback vs Hobie Revo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:04 AM »
Totally different platforms-look at specs and that will tell you even more.  Outback will be more stable as it is wider but you will really know it if you're out in some chop and swells and want to get home fast and dry-it can be a barge.  However, I do like the cockpit and accessories arrangement in the Outback over the Revo.  Your fishing style would also help you make a decision.  Only between the two, I would take the Revo any time BUT I have one so am not very objective  ;D
"I never lost a little fish----yes, I am free to say it always was the biggest fish I caught that got away"

----Eugene Field
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
For a while I've been leaning towards the Outback (wider, stable, built in fishing rods, etc), but lately I've seen a lot of people fishing from Revos, so now I feel like I'm missing something... And I know it's not a matter of price because both cost the same.  ???
Too many Hobie kayaks, but there's always room for more!Legal Disclaimer:Any information provided should not be construed as technical, legal, financial, medical or spiritual advice and may burn your retinas if read incorrectly.
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
i had an outback myself and hated it, sold it quickly. here are the pros and mostly cons...
Pros: extremely stable (stand up and move around), ample storage, comfortable cockpit
cons: even in glassy conditions it has noisy hull slap, very heavy, slow moving, terrible tracking when trying to stand and pole, pedals are useless on shallow flats, overall just slow and heavy, difficult to maneuver
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
What year was your Outback? Pedals are useless on shallow flats, no matter the model. ;)
  • Contributing member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »
I went through the same thing you are going through right now..  It took me a while to decide.  Ended up with the Revo and worked out great.  I think that no matter which boat you end up with you will be happy.  The one thing I liked about the Revo over the Outback was the speed.  The Revolution offers plenty of stability so don't be fooled by the idea that you would prefer a boat that is more stable. 

If I had to do it all over again, I would end up looking at the Pro-Angler as well.  Of Course the weight issue is something you can not ignore, but it is one incredible boat that can do it all (and it is more comfortable). Hopefully I didn't end up confusing you more.

For a while it seemed as the Outback was the boat to get, but I am seeing more Revolutions on the forums and websites in general.  That should give you an idea.  I have a Hobie Quest as well that I was using when going out in real shallow water.  I hardly ever use it anymore.  It actually works out better to have the combination of pedals an paddle.

Hope that helps..!  Good Luck  thumbs-up

eme

• Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-kinda funny HMU, I started out with a Quest, added an Outfitter so momma would go out with me, and then got a Revo.  Now  rely solely on Quest and Outfitter and Revo rest in the garage  :P :P 

Goes to show that you got to find that ride that is perfect for you and use it.  Everybody has different needs and wants as it relates to shallow water angling  thumbs-up  thumbs-up
"I never lost a little fish----yes, I am free to say it always was the biggest fish I caught that got away"

----Eugene Field
  • Contributing member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
I agree that you have to find the ride that works best for you.  I do like my Quest a lot, unfortunately not everyone can afford to buy three or four boats to try until they find the one that works best.  One thing is certain...  You can never tell until you spend some good quality time in the water. 

If you think that you will travel longer than two miles during your fishing trips and you are trying to decide between the Revolution and the Outback, you will be happier with the Revolution.

Try them out to make sure before you buy...  :boat:

• Reds Slayer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Revo, but I learned a few weeks ago a new shorter (11.5') and lighter (47#) Revo is coming out in a few weeks. Anybody know anything about that? It's called the Revolution 11.
  • Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:34:50 AM »
Seems like a Revo 11 would somewhat defeat the advantage of the craft, which is speed. Remember that the shorter the boat, the slower it goes.

Like Eme, I am a Quest man because it goes super shallow and is a good overall compromise.

DJ
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:51:45 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-kinda funny HMU, I started out with a Quest, added an Outfitter so momma would go out with me, and then got a Revo.  Now  rely solely on Quest and Outfitter and Revo rest in the garage  :P :P 

Goes to show that you got to find that ride that is perfect for you and use it.  Everybody has different needs and wants as it relates to shallow water angling  thumbs-up  thumbs-up

Is frambo the only 1 that stands in his revo all day? Ernie I think you should stop letting yourrevo collect dust I need some standing lessons lol!!!

eme

• Global Moderator
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »
Me thinks that you either need to be short  or thin  with good sense of balance like a tight rope walker or swan dives are highly likely.  I think that rules you and me out there buddy but you seemed to be able to stand for a few minutes in the Quest so you are welcome to give the Revo a try a time or two thumbs-up thumbs-up

----Eugene Field
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:14:19 AM by eme »
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:22:30 AM »
Lol nad the mirage drive do me no good where I fish fresh/ lillypads salt/flats I thought Id prove yah wrong on the quest haha I can stand!!! Your boat is ideal for beach trolling though
  • Fishing Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
I'm leaning towards the Revo, but I learned a few weeks ago a new shorter (11.5') and lighter (47#) Revo is coming out in a few weeks. Anybody know anything about that? It's called the Revolution 11.

Below is a link to a review on the new Hobie 11.  This is from the Hobie forum.  This guy does thorough evaluations of Hobie kayaks.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37621
Hobie Outback - Yellow
Hobie Outback - Red
  • Fishing Legend
  • Hobie Adventure 16 with mirage drive
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
so where in ORL can you see these hobies?  Please.
Greetings Humans
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »