News:

Thank you everyone for helping out during the MIWR Clean-up!

« previous next »
Pages: [1]   Go Down

How to register kayak for use with trolling motor?

Read 1277 times
  • Reds Slayer
How to register kayak for use with trolling motor?
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:05:57 PM »
Have an old trolling motor sitting around and I'm considering rigging something up to use it on the yak.
Know some of the guys on here have done the same.  Just wondering what all you have to do to it registered.
I bought my kayak used so I don't have any kind of proof of ownership .
Any info is appreciated including cost and what's needed. 
Thanks much.
Ocean Prowler Trident 15
Pelican castaway 11'6
Re: How to register kayak for use with trolling motor?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:00:58 AM »
I went through this last year.  You can't register the kayak without a title, which you probably don't have.  What you will need is a Certificate of Manufacture (COM) in order to obtain a title.  If you get the hull number off the boat and contact the manufacturer, they can generate a COM and send it to you.  The DMV will charge you sales tax unless you have a receipt saying that you did.  If don't have a receipt from the guy you bought it from, you can take that and pay tax on just what you paid for it.  If you don't, see if you can contact him and get one, otherwise  you'll need to pay tax on the price of a new one.  If you can't, find the cheapest on-line ad you and print it out and take it to the DMV with you, and they will charge you tax based on the ad.  Once  you have the COM and something to show how much you paid (a receipt, or the ad), head down to the DMV and they can do it on the spot.   All total, I think I paid about $100 up front, then about $24 a year for registration.  I know that guys add motors, but don't register and have never had a problem,  but sometimes it seems like I attract the marine patrol, so I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry...
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
I will add that a lot of it depends on who you get at the tag office.  Some of them just want to collect the tax for the state and others think they are the police looking for stolen vessels.

When I registered my canoe I just told them it had been in the family for years and they just printed me up a title.  Paid the money and out I walked.  My friend, on the other hand, tried to register a canoe and they made him jump through 10,000 hoops.
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:34:37 PM »
What a pain.   I only planned on using the trolling motor in a private lake I fish to troll some deep spots for bass.  I'll bring the serial numbers to the DMV and see what happens,  if it's too much of a pain I probably won't bother being I'm using it on a private lake.

Thanks for the info guys
Ocean Prowler Trident 15
Pelican castaway 11'6
  • Reds Slayer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but I did a little research and here's what I've come up with:

Florida Statutes
328.48  Vessel registration, application, certificate, number, decal, duplicate certificate.-

...beginning omitted due to irrelevance....

(2)  Each vessel operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state must be registered as a commercial vessel or recreational vessel as defined in s. 327.02, unless it is:

(a)  A vessel operated, used, and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds;

(b)  A vessel owned by the United States Government;

(c)  A vessel used exclusively as a ship's lifeboat; or

(d)  A non-motor-powered vessel less than 16 feet in length or a non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length.

...continuation omitted due to irrelevance...

So if you are using it on private waters only then there is no legal requirement to register it.  I don't know where you are talking about, but just remember that there is a difference between truly private water and "waters of the state" that have no public access.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »